Hacking The House
This post has been inspired by an article that has appeared on the BBC news website entitled ¨How to Hack and Crack the Connected Home"
The BBC website is phenomenal in its depth and is a brilliant source of information.
But the technology coverage is sometimes , just weird.
The article, quite rightly highlights that domestic appliances and devices within the home, that are connected to the internet, require IT security. Without the right security , it is possible for Hackers to access these devices, the data they contain and sometimes lock the user out of their own equipment.
The ¨ Internet of Things ¨ is coming and with that the opportunities for criminals mutiply.
It does not help that the majority of manufacturers of such connected devices, simply , believe that a password and user name is enough. Mandatory changes to default setting are required, as is clear methods of updating firmware and software to deal with known and new security bugs.
Whats ¨ weird " about the article is that it makes no effort to examine the why ?
Why would a hacker want to access your fridge ? thermostat or light bulb ?
Todays hackers are sophisicated and they will know what the device is before they try and access it. What the article skims over is that all these devices offer criminals a point of entry into your home network so they can really access what they are looking for, your Pc , tablet or phone. Or your security/CCTV system.
Access to your bank account, photos and documents, cameras and microphones are what criminals want !
So the next gadget you bring into your home should be considered an internet threat ! Our advice is read the reviews online and if possible product forums before you spend your money. And the next time your visitor wants to connect to your home wifi, ask yourself, why ?
- Google Apps Show
- Google Enterprise
- OCM News
- Frame - Work With Any Software In A Browser
- Windows 10 The Reviews Are In
- Microsoft Windows 10 - What You Need To Know!
- Time For A New Website
- An Introduction To Google Keep
- Lenovo and Superfish - What You Need To Know
- Apple Spring Forward - Whats New
- Raspberry Pi 2 Announced Today
- Are You Quick On The Phone - Free Calls If You Are
- Shellshock Bug
- Why Buying A Desktop PC For Your Workplace Might Be A Mistake!
- The New Apple IPhone 6 Definitely Does Not Charge In The Microwave
- Google Atmosphere 1st October 2014 4.45pm Online
- Growth Vouchers, Free Money !
- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work! - Thomas Edison
- Ralph Savage - DRS Business Solutions Joins OCM´s Business Finance Forum
- Hacking The House
- 2016 Jul
- 2016 Jun
- 2016 May
- 2016 Mar
- 2016 Feb
- 2016 Jan
- 2015 Dec
- 2015 Nov
- 2015 Oct
- 2015 Sep
- 2015 Aug
- 2015 Jul
- 2015 Jun
- 2015 May
- 2015 Apr
- 2015 Mar
- 2015 Feb
- 2015 Jan
- 2014 Nov
- 2014 Oct
- 2014 Sep
- 2014 Aug
- 2014 Jul
- 2014 Jun